Friday, June 7, 2013

Planting Heirloom Corn, other Veggies and Fruits this Season

Please Rate Article: 
Oh yeah, I have had a really good, first growing year with three types of Lettuce, Carrots and some Onions. For Christmas last year my parents gave me a raised veggie garden bed and I have been using it from various veggies that do to grow up, but out.

I tried growing Red Cabbage, but only the leaves (which are very big) grew. I will try again next year. I also tried Broccoli, but that also did not grow. Right now though, I am growing Cantaloupe and Watermelon in my veggie garden box.

Since Winter, I have been "building" my compost pile inside a plastic garbage can, with lid, and adding some veggie scraps, shredded paper and some leaves as they fell. Well, I have begun mixing the compost with my garden bagged dirt and all of a sudden other fruit and veggies have begun to grow! I really am not sure what they are yet. It looks like they could be potatoes and more Cantaloupe!

The Watermelon I am attempting to grow looks like it is being eaten from bugs of some sort.

Well, along with these fruits and veggies, I am growing tomatoes and they plant is really beginning to grow tall. Yeah! I am so glad, but I did not plant my Jalapenos at the right time, winter, so I will not have any this yeah and when I went to OSH to look for a plant, all they had was sweet peppers....YUCK...

Along with the above veggies, and fruits, I am doing all I can to grow Corn, Green Beans and Zucchini (Three Sisters). These plants are growing..just not as fast as they probably should because they are not in full sunlight.

Anyway, I will take some pics tomorrow and post them here, in another post for you to see.

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many traditional snack foods are overly processed and loaded with empty calories. Not the snacks on Nuts.com! The online retailer’s healthy snacks satisfy your cravings for something spicy, crunchy, sweet and flavorful between meals. Top sellers like roasted cashews and pistachios, raw almonds, Turkish figs and dried apricots can accommodate any diet preferences, including organic, sugar- or gluten-free. Send your family and friends a gift certificate to Nuts.com and let them go NUTS!